Importing contacts into gmail from Thunderbird and Yahoo mail
The first thing I wanted to try as part of my using gmail as my mail client experiment was importing all my contacts, half from Thunderbird and half from Yahoo mail.
Gmail supports importing comma separated (CSV) lists and both Thunderbird and yahoo mail support exporting in that format so it’s pretty straight forward. I’ve just made a few notes about it in case I need to do it again.
Exporting from Thunderbird
1. Open up the address book.
2. Go to the Tools menu and choose Export.
3. Change the save as type dropdown to Comma Separated
4. Choose a filename and where you want to save it
Exporting from Yahoo
1. Go to Yahoo address book.
2. Click import/export from along the top menu
3. Scroll down the bottom of the page and click the Yahoo CSV button.
Importing into gmail
1. Load the gmail contacts page.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the contacts panel and click the Import link.
3. Select the file you’ve created and then click the Import button.